Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanksgiving is a sacred meal to savor – not the time for a full-on healthy makeover. Instead, this year, try adding one or two of these dishes from our “Thanksgiving Sides” feature that no one will ever guess are light.
Try the Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, Moist Turkey Sausage Stuffing and Pear Cranberry Sauce – all under 250 calories a serving!
With Healthy Cooking, you can eat smarter without radically changing your traditional, family-favorite meal.
Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Prep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
* 3-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
* 6 garlic cloves, halved
* 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
* 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1. Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
2. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Stir in the sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 179 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
Moist Turkey Sausage Stuffing
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
* 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
* 4 celery ribs, chopped
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1-1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
* 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
* 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 3 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
* 3-1/4 cups boiling water
* 1 package (14 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing
* 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
2. In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the apricots, parsley, sage, poultry seasoning and pepper; cook 3 minutes longer.
3. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; stir into sausage mixture. Stir in corn bread stuffing; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Gently stir in cranberries; heat through. Yield: 16 servings (2/3 cup each). Editor’s Note: This recipe makes enough stuffing to stuff a 14-pound turkey. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing.
4. Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 205 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Editor’s Note: This recipe makes enough stuffing to stuff a 14-pound turkey. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 205 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Pear Cranberry Sauce
Prep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
* 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
* 2 medium pears, peeled and cubed
* 1 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 3 cups.
2. Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals 94 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals 94 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Online credit: Recipes courtesy of Healthy Cooking magazine. Visit TasteofHome.com for more Thanksgiving recipes (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Holiday—Celebration-Recipes/Thanksgiving-Recipes?keycode=ZPR).