Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Patriotic Candy Coated Popcorn is a perfect combination of sweet and salty. This colorful snack works great for both patriotic celebrations and snacking at home.
Patriotic Candy Coated Popcorn Recipe
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- 1 ½ cups sweet cream butter, divided into thirds measuring 1/2 cup each
- 3 cups sugar, divided into thirds measuring 1 cup each
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup, divided into thirds measuring 1/4 cup each
- 1 ½ tsp salt, divided into thirds measuring 1/2 tsp each
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract, divided into thirds measuring 1/2 tsp each
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp blue food coloring
- 1 tsp white food coloring
- 3/4 tsp baking soda, divided into thirds measuring 1/4 tsp each
- 2 cups red, white and blue m&m’s
- 1 bag of patriotic chocolate covered pretzels
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees f.
Place your popcorn evenly on two large baking pans covered with parchment paper.
In three medium saucepans over medium heat.
Add 1/2 of each of the following ingredients to each saucepan.
Add butter your butter first and melt.
Stir in sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt into both saucepans.
Bring to boil while stirring constantly.
Boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Split the mixture into 3 small mixing bowls.
Add your food colors one in each bowl.
Mix all bowls until the mixture is evenly colored and combined.
Stir in baking soda.
Mixture will double.
Pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir to combine and evenly coat.
Place the popcorn in the oven.
Stir the popcorn every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven.
Let cool for about 5 minutes.
Mix in 2 C of the Red, White and Blue M&M’s Mix in the Patriotic chocolate covered pretzels (Found at Sams Club)