Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not overly creative. I love to see great looking foods, there’s something so neat about seeing good food presentation. I am always amazed at foods that look like things, especially desserts. Recently Lucky Leaf challenged me to try making one of their recipes for Memorial Day. They promised me it would be very easy and look great. If successful, the result would look like the flag cake shown here.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1x prepared 9×13 inch white cake or the cake of your choice
- 1x 16 oz. tub of whipped topping
- 1x 21 oz. can Lucky Leaf Apple Pie Filling
- 1x 21 oz. can Lucky Leaf Blueberry Pie Filling
- 1x 21 oz. can Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling
- Reserve 1/3 cup whipped topping. Spread remaining whipped topping over the top and sides of cake.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the cake, use 1/2 can Lucky Leaf Blueberry Pie Filling to create the square field for the stars.
- Starting with the Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling at the top edge of the cake, form alternating stripes of the flag using Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling and Lucky Leaf Apple Pie Filling.
- Use remaining whipped topping to create stars in the blue field.
The instructions were simple and easy to follow, even a novice can do it. It took about 5 minutes to prepare the cake and another 30 minutes to bake it. I let the cake cool and then set to decorating. I had invited people over for the holiday and one didn’t like apple so I didn’t use the apple pie filling. My cake didn’t look quite as good as the one in the picture but better than I thought it would. Here’s what my cake looked like.
Now for the taste. We all enjoyed it. The cake seemed to be even moister than usual, presumably because of the juices from the pie fillings. The whipped cream was light and tasty, a perfect choice for the fruit fillings in my opinion. This was the perfect cake to serve for Memorial Day. I’m going to try it again for the Fourth of July and try to make my stars smaller and looking like stars.
You’ll find recipes and even coupons on the Lucky Leaf site. If you’re on Facebook be sure to become a fan of the official Lucky Leaf Facebook page to enjoy recipes, entertaining tips and more throughout the year!
The product(s) featured in this review was provided free of cost to me for the sole purpose of product testing and review. This review has not been monetarily compensated and is based on the views and opinions of my family and/or self. Please note that the opinions reflected in this post have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.