Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Courtesy of 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes by Marilyn Haugen © 2016 www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
Low and Slow Brisket with Carrots and Brown Gravy
Brisket is one of those dishes that many of us love to eat and hate to make because it takes so much time. Well, this darling of a dish does take a bit of time, but it is all hands-off, and the result is tender and flavorful.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Instant Pot Functions
• Slow Cook
- 3 lb piece beef brisket (see tip, opposite), cut into thirds (1.5 kg)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil (30 mL)
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided (250 mL)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes (30 mL)
- 2 tsp horseradish powder (10 mL)
- 2 cups ready-to-use beef broth (500 mL)
- 2 cups dry red wine (500 mL)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (30 mL)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (30 mL)
- 1 cup cold water (250 mL)
1. Season brisket with salt. Press Sauté; the indicator will read “Normal.” When the display says “Hot,” add oil to the pot and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add brisket and cook, turning often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer brisket to a plate. Press Cancel.
2. Add carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves and 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) parsley to the pot, stirring well. Return the brisket to the pot, along with any accumulated juices.
3. In a large bowl, combine garlic, onion flakes, horseradish, broth, wine and tomato paste. Pour over brisket. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Venting. Press Slow Cook; the indicator will read “Normal.” Press Adjust twice to change the heat level to “Less.” Press to increase the time on the display to 7:00.
5. When the timer beeps, remove the lid and check to make sure the brisket is tender and no longer pink inside. (If more cooking is needed, reset the slow cooker to “Less” and cook for 30 to 60 minutes.) Press Cancel. Discard bay leaves. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and the vegetables to a serving bowl. Cover with foil and keep warm.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Press Sauté. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and cook, stirring, for 2 to 4 minutes or until gravy is thickened to your liking.
7. Slice brisket crosswise against the grain and arrange slices on a serving platter. Drizzle with some of the gravy and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve with the carrots and onions. Spoon the remaining gravy into a gravy boat and serve alongside.
Your brisket should be “boneless,” with deckle off. This cut of brisket is often called “cut 120.” It has bones 1 to 4 removed and the hard fat, known as deckle, trimmed off. You can ask your butcher to trim your brisket to these specifications, if it’s not already done.
Cut the brisket into equal sections that will allow you to arrange them evenly in the pot, to aid with even cooking.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, add brisket with gravy to an ovenproof dish large enough to accommodate laying the brisket flat without overlapping. Cover with heavy-duty foil and heat in a 250°F (120°C) oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
If you’re looking for more Instant Pot recipes like this be sure to check out my 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes cookbook review. You can purchase the cookbook on Amazon by clicking below.
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.
- Author: Marilyn Haugen
- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Robert Rose (September 1, 2016)
- ISBN-10: 0778805425
- ISBN-13: 978-0778805427
- Cover price $19.95
- Purchase on Amazon