Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The product(s) featured in this post was provided at no cost to me. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way. Some of the posts on this site, like this one, contain an affiliate link. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product for you if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a SMALL commission if you purchase the item.
- Blu-ray/DVD Release Date: September 10, 2019
- Feature Run Time: Approximately 128 minutes
- Rating: PG in U.S. (bonus material not rated), PG in CE, G in CF
- Number of discs: 2
- Studio: WALT DISNEY STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
- Run Time: 90 minutes
- ASIN: B07SZBLFLP
- Purchase on Amazon
With Disney’s original animated Aladdin being one of my favorites, I was a bit skeptical on how a live action Aladdin would turn out. Not just because I love Disney animation, but also because there are some things you just cannot replace, one of them being a Robin Williams performance. He was brilliant as the genie. I have enjoyed many Will smith movies, and have no problem saying he’s great at comedy. But how would he do in a role that Robin Williams previously held? Brilliantly, that’s how Will Smith did in the role of the genie. He made it his own, he was funny and his timing was perfect. I think even Robin Williams would’ve appreciated the job Will Smith did in the role. Overall I can say that I truly enjoyed the live action Aladdin as much as I enjoy the animated version. Disney’s Aladdin is a must have for any movie collector, whether it be Disney, comedy, “remakes”, or Will Smith.
Disney’s “Aladdin,” the thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of the studio’s animated classic, lands in homes on Digital in HD, 4K Ultra HD™ and Movies Anywhere on Aug. 27, and physically on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on Sept. 10. Fans of all ages will enjoy the exciting, humorous tale of the lovable “street rat,” Aladdin (Mena Massoud), courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine (Naomi Scott) and the larger-than-life Genie (Will Smith) with all-new bonus features. The release of the live-action adventure coincides with the addition of the original animated classic to the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection — granting “Aladdin” fans everywhere the opportunity to own both magical movies.
Extras explore elements of “Aladdin” that audiences adore, from the film’s treasured, iconic award-winning music to its beloved characters and their hilarious antics on and off screen. Viewers get the first look at an all-new song “Desert Moon,” deleted from the final film, written by eight-time Academy Award® winning composer Alan Menken and Oscar®-and Tony Award®-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (“The Greatest Showman,” “La La Land”). Features document Guy Ritchie’s joyful, easy-going approach to directing that led to movie magic; Will Smith’s fresh take on the infamous shape-shifting blue entity confined to an oil lamp; Naomi Scott’s powerful performance as the spirited princess who yearns to lead the people of Agrabah; and the indescribable feeling of playing Aladdin chronicled personally by Mena Massoud. Deleted scenes and a blooper reel round out the fun.
In addition, early owners of “Aladdin” gain access to exclusive bonus features. Fans who pre-purchase will receive a feature showcasing the making of the massive musical number “Prince Ali,” and those who bring home the film first on Digital will secure an exclusive extra detailing the creation of Jasmine’s new song “Speechless.”
“Aladdin” is sure to become an instant classic for viewers of all ages and will be packaged several ways to ensure the entire family gets the most out of its in-home entertainment experience. The film arrives two weeks early on Digital 4K Ultra HD and HD. A Digital bundle, which includes both the Walt Disney Signature Collection edition of the original animated classic “Aladdin” and the live-action adaptation, is also available for early purchase. A physical copy of the film will be released as a 4K Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital Code), a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray and Digital Code) and a single DVD.
“ALADDIN” CAST AND CREW:
“Aladdin” stars Will Smith as Genie, Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, Navid Negahban as Sultan, Nasim Pedrad as Dalia, Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders and Numan Acar as Hakim. “Aladdin” is directed by Guy Ritchie from a screenplay by John August and Ritchie based on Disney’s ALADDIN animation screenplay by Ron Clements & John Musker and Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio.
The film is produced by Dan Lin, p.g.a., and Jonathan Eirich, p.g.a., with Marc Platt and Kevin De La Noy serving as executive producers. Alan Menken provides the score, which includes new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice and new music written by Menken and songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
Extras illuminate a whole new world behind the scenes of “Aladdin,” including on-set visits with Will Smith, Naomi Scott, Mena Massoud and Guy Ritchie, a deleted song, deleted scenes and side-splitting bloopers
Bonus features include*:
DIGITAL PRESELL BONUS:
- MAKE WAY FOR PRINCE ALI – Take a look at the gigantic design extravaganza that came together for this scene of Genie-sized proportions.
DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS:
- “SPEECHLESS”: CREATING A NEW SONG FOR JASMINE – Follow the story of Jasmine’s inspirational song “Speechless,” written by Alan Menken, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul especially for this version of “”
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- ALADDIN’S VIDEO JOURNAL: A NEW FANTASTIC POINT OF VIEW – Watch behind-the-scenes moments captured by Mena Massoud (Aladdin) in this fun, fast-paced look at his personal journey.
- DELETED SONG – “DESERT MOON” – Experience a moving duet performed by Jasmine and Aladdin, fully shot and edited, with an introduction by Alan Menken.
- GUY RITCHIE: A CINEMATIC GENIE – Discover why director Guy Ritchie was the perfect filmmaker to tackle this exhilarating reimagining of a beloved classic.
- A FRIEND LIKE GENIE – Discover how Will Smith brings talent, experience and his own personal magic to the iconic role of Genie.
- DELETED SCENES
- Falling Petals Into OJ
- Jafar’s Magic Orrery
- Anders’ Gift
- Wrong Wishes
- Silly Old Fool
- Post Yam Jam Debrief
- BLOOPERS – Laugh along with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of outtakes from the set.
- MUSIC VIDEOS
- “Speechless” – Music video performed by Naomi Scott
- “A Whole New World” – Music video performed by ZAYN and Zhavia Ward
- “ A Whole New World” (“Un Mundo Ideal”) – Music video performed by ZAYN and Becky G.
Here’s the trailer.