Sweet Potato Lasagna
This delicious lasagna is very easy to make. I like to serve it with steamed spinach sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds or a tossed green salad topped with sliced avocado.
SERVES 6 TO 8
•Works best in a large (minimum 5 quart) oval slow cooker
•Greased slow cooker stoneware
Make ahead – This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Steps 1 and 2. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue with the recipe.
TIP – I’ve used brown rice noodles in this pasta because they are a gluten-free alternative. If you prefer, substitute whole wheat lasagna noodles, which are higher in fiber, or oven-ready noodles for convenience. If using oven-ready noodles, skip Step 1.
- 12 brown rice lasagna noodles (see Tip above)
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 4 cups tomato sauce 1 L
- 2 cups ricotta cheese 500 mL
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning 15 mL
- 2 cups shredded lower-fat mozzarella cheese 500 mL
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 50 mL
1. Cook lasagna noodles in a pot of boiling salted water, until slightly undercooked, or according to package instructions, undercooking by 2 minutes. Drain, toss with oil and set aside.
2. Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of the tomato sauce over bottom of prepared slow cooker stoneware. Cover with 3 noodles. Spread with one-third each of the ricotta, sweet potatoes and dried Italian seasoning and one-quarter of the tomato sauce and mozzarella. Repeat twice. Cover with final layer of noodles. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until sweet potatoes are tender and mixture is hot and bubbly.
If you’re looking for more slow cooker recipes like this be sure to check out 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics, available on Amazon. You can find my review here.
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.