Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The product(s) featured in this review was provided free of cost to me for the sole purpose of product testing and review. This review has not been monetarily compensated. Please note that any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
I can make a homemade red sauce. But it’s a lot of work and I don’t feel my homemade sauce is anything spectacular. I almost always have jarred sauce in my home. I always have. I probably always will. I find it very convenient to be able to boil pasta and then open the cabinet, grab a jar of sauce, put it over the pasta and be done.
I recently tried Anjon’s Gourmet Sauce. Anjon’s is located in Maine. While they started as a tiny seafood shack, they grew into a well-known Italian restaurant. Their sauces became so popular that they started selling them. Anjon’s Gourmet Sauces are available in a number of varieties including:
- Gourmet Lobster Fra Diavolo – A favorite in any Italian kitchen is now available anytime you crave this spicy, rich sauce. Add your own scallops, shrimp, mussels, clams (or even more lobster!), and enjoy!
- Gourmet Marinara Pasta Sauce – This is our Great-Grandmother’s original recipe which remains unchanged for over 100 years. This sauce will bring a smile to the face of everyone at the table. The sweet aroma of slow cooked tomatoes coupled with fresh basil and garlic is just a start. We add extra virgin olive oil and a whole lot of Italian ancestry to this sauce.
- Gourmet Puttanesca Pasta Sauce – The Italian word puttana “loosely” translated means “lady-of-the-night”. According to one story, such “ladies” would use this spicy, sultry fragrance of fresh cooked puttanesca to lure in their many gentlemen callers.
- Gourmet Sicilian Pasta Sauce – This traditional sauce blends the freshest tomatoes, garlic and spices, along with golden raisins, pine nuts, and extra virgin olive oil. It’s unique, sweet flavor is a wonderful alternative to your traditional everyday pasta sauce.
- Gourmet Tomato Sauce – This Sauce is dark red and has wonderful meat flavors. The aroma of fresh vine ripened tomato’s slow cooked with our own blend of spices and fresh garlic gives it a quality you would only find in old world Italy.
- Gourmet Vodka Pasta Sauce – This spicy & delectably rich combination of fresh tomatoes, heavy cream, peccorino romano and imported olive oil is perfect plain over pasta, or as a complement to your favorite dishes.
- Pizza Sauce – No home is complete without the perfect pizza sauce, just begging you to take one more bite. Ingredients: vine ripened tomatoes, olive oil, virgin olive oil, spices, fresh garlic, salt.
We tried several of the sauces. The first was the Gourmet Marinara Pasta Sauce. You can see some chunks of tomato and pieces of basil in the sauce. It smells nice. Flavorwise I found it to be somewhat less “full-bodies” then I expected. It wasn’t bad, but it needed help. I had some browned ground beef that I tossed in and that helped a lot. I consider this a good sauce to start building on, if you are into that approach. For me personally if I’m cooking to add things to a sauce I might as well just make the sauce. Which is why I think that their Gourmet Tomato Sauce is probably more in line with what I look for as opposed to the Marinara.
The Gourmet Sicilian Pasta Sauce was a different story. That had a much richer flavor. I’d never had a red sauce made with raisins, which made it quite different. It wasn’t bad, it was just different. It definitely tasted fresh. Anjon’s recommends it with appetizers, as a dip with fresh Italian bread, or served over your favorite pasta. The third sauce was the Gourmet Lobster Fra Diavolo. Hubby loves his seafood so he was very happy to be trying this one. He enjoyed the sauce, finding it had a little kick to it. It was flavorful on it’s own, or can be given even more seafood flavor by adding your own scallops, shrimp, mussels or clams.
Anjon’s sells it’s jars in quantites of 3, 6, 9 or 12. You can purchase Anjon’s Gourmet Sauce online.