Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Courtesy of 175 Best Air Fryer Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury © 2016 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
Image credit: Colin Erricson
The product(s) featured in this post was provided free of cost to me. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
Makes 4 servings
Vegetable tempura is irresistible — you simply can’t eat just one — and thanks to the air fryer, you no longer have to limit it to rare occasions.
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch (150 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour (75 mL)
- 1⁄4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup club soda, chilled (175 mL)
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) (375 mL)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (250 mL)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1⁄4-inch (0.5 cm) thick strips
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄4-inch (0.5 cm) thick slices
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1⁄4-inch (0.5 cm) thick slices
- 12 green beans, trimmed
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornstarch, flour and salt. Whisk in egg and club soda until blended and smooth. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to thicken.
2. Preheat air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
3. Spread panko in a shallow dish.
4. Working with 1 vegetable piece at a time, dip in batter, shaking off excess, then dredge in panko, pressing gently to adhere. As they are dredged, place 5 to 6 vegetables in air fryer basket, leaving space in between. Spray with cooking spray.
5. Air-fry for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining vegetables, batter and panko. Discard any excess batter and panko.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out my 175 Best Air Fryer Recipes cookbook review which contains a Molten Chocolate Cakes recipe, as well as a Portobello and Prosciutto Air-Fried Eggs recipe, both of which I have shared with permission of the publisher. You can purchase 175 Best Air Fryer Recipes on Amazon.