Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The product(s) featured in this post was provided to me free of cost to me. This post has not been monetarily compensated. Please note that, as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own.
Do you remember the talking bear toy of the 80’s, Teddy Ruxpin? My Friend, Teddy sort of reminds me of that bear. My Friend, Teddy is a bear made for today, though! First of all, when you open up and read the directions, you will see that you need to download an App to work with Teddy. You can use android or Apple products. Once you download the App, it is activated in the bear by bluetooth technology. Then you answer questions about your child, their family, likes, etc. You answer things like, “What is their favorite breakfast food? What is their favorite snack?,” along with what they call their loved ones, any pets, etc. they even ask their favorite bedtime story!
You can download the App in English, Spanish or French. You also choose an age for your child and the Teddy will interact differently depending on how old your child is. My Friend, Teddy runs on 3 AA batteries that are safely enclosed under his fur in a case that has to be opened and closed with a screwdriver. That is also where you turn him on.
Once Teddy is on, he will begin talking to your child. He will talk about things he likes and they like and emphasize similarities. He is ticklish and will laugh when you touch or squeeze his belly. The laughter does not match his voice, which was startling to us. The laughter is actually an actual child’s voice recording, which is not always the same voice every time. The voice is mostly a girl computer voice, although for some interactions it was an actual child’s voice. The mouth moves when Teddy is talking, but we found on ours that the mouth movements were louder than the voice and it seemed a bit scary.
Teddy is programmed to respond to your child answering and talking to him. If your child is a little older, Teddy can do games with him or her! Here are all the things Teddy can do as stated from the website:
- Touch and sound interaction
- Play with Teddy online or offline
- Connect easily to WiFi via Bluetooth, however, Teddy can function even without having to be connected to a smart device.
- Compatible with most Android and Apple smart devices
- Knows your child’s likes & dislikes as well as information about your family
- He will amaze your child by the things he knows
- Create a photo album about your family
- Magically tells stories your child will love
- Grows with your child
- Set your child’s age and Teddy will customize his play. Teddy will increase his level of play with your child over time.
- Speaks in different languages
- Download the free Teddy APP in English or Spanish anytime
- Has easy to follow video instructions included in the APP
My Friend, Teddy will be sold at Walmart, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target, Kmart and Blain’s Farm & Fleet.