Courtesy of 200 Best Sheet Pan Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury © 2016 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
I have heard of Huevos Rancheros many times online. But, I’ve never had them, as they just aren’t something that’s super big here in my area of New Jersey. (At least not that I’ve noticed.) Having read how much people enjoy them, I wanted to share this version, which is made in a sheetpan. Here’s how you make them.
Huevos Rancheros Tortilla Tarts
This recipe, from page 54 under Breakfast & Brunch, makes 4 tarts. To make this recipe you’ll need an 18- by 13-inch (45 by 33 cm) rimmed sheet pan, lined with parchment paper or foil.
Give your breakfast or brunch a kick-start with this so-simple, irresistible recipe for huevos rancheros. It makes a satisfying (and frugal!) dinner entrée, too.
- 1 can (15 oz/425 mL) refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup chipotle salsa, divided
- 4x 6-inch (15 cm) soft corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Hass avocados, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or mild feta cheese
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Thinly sliced jalapeño peppers
- Additional chipotle salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- In a small bowl, combine refried beans and salsa until blended.
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Place on prepared pan, spacing evenly. Divide bean mixture evenly among tortillas, spreading to 1⁄2 inch (1 cm) from the edges and using the back of a spoon to create a slight well in the center of each. Break 1 egg into each well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until egg whites and yolks are firm, not runny. Serve topped with avocados, queso fresco and any of the suggested accompaniments, as desired.
An equal-size can of black beans or pinto beans, drained, rinsed and mashed with a fork, can be used in place of the refried beans.
Flour tortillas can be used in place of the corn tortillas.
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.