Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hawaiian Chicken Panini Recipe
Excerpted from 200 Best Panini Recipes by Tiffany Collins © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.
page 185, Leftovers, International
I encourage you to use fresh pineapple, as once it is grilled the natural sugar will caramelize, giving more depth to the flavor, color and texture. The island flavors of teriyaki, Maui onion and cabbage highlight this recipe.
- 2 slices fresh pineapple (about 1⁄4 inch/0.5 cm thick)
- 2 ciabatta rolls, split
- 1 tbsp butter, melted (15 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup bottled teriyaki glaze (75 mL)
- 8 oz leftover grilled chicken breast (250 g)(about 2 small), thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Sweet Maui onion or 4 other sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded napa cabbage (125 mL)
• Preheat panini grill to high
1. Arrange pineapple on bottom grill plate, close the top plate and grill until pineapple is tender and grill-marked, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Wipe grill plates clean.
2. Place rolls, cut side down, on a work surface and brush crusts with butter. Turn rolls over and brush with some of the teriyaki glaze. On bottom halves, evenly layer with chicken, pineapple, onion and cabbage. Drizzle with the remaining teriyaki glaze. Cover with top halves and press gently to pack.
3. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
For additional flavor, brush the pineapple slices with teriyaki sauce before grilling.
Look in your supermarket’s freezer section for fully cooked grilled chicken, which is great for panini recipes. I prefer slicing it for an easier bite.
The product(s) featured in this review was provided free of cost to me for the sole purpose of product testing and review. This review has not been monetarily compensated. Please note that any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
Some of the posts on this site may contain an affiliate link, which means I may get paid a small commission (and I do mean SMALL) if you purchase the product or service.
- Updated September 2013 – New features! Over 75,000 copies already sold in previous editions
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Robert Rose
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0778802019
- ISBN-13: 978-0778802013
- Cover price $24.95