Some posts on this site contain an affiliate link. Clicking on an affiliate link does not increase the cost of the product if you buy it. It does mean that I MAY make a commission if you purchase the item. Affiliate links are used in an attempt to offset the operational costs incurred by running this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I will be receiving samples in exchange for sharing this information. This post has not been monetarily compensated. Please note that as always, any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
In 1964 brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo first introduced a wine called Hearty Burgundy. The story of Gallo’s Hearty Burgundy is inextricably linked to the rise in popularity of wines in America and the popularity of American-produced wines. Now, fifty years later, they’re toasting the golden anniversary of America’s first truly iconic Red Blend with a limited edition bottling.
The special bottling was crafted after careful consultation with the blend’s original winemakers to offer the same big, generous flavor, carrying on the Gallo tradition of producing approachable and flavorful wines. Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy retails for $9 in a 1.5L bottle.
I never know what wine goes with what. So as a part of the celebration, I am sharing some food pairing and cocktail recipes, courtesy of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Food Pairing Recipes
Mini Quiche Lorraines
Makes 24 mini quiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon (or 2 teaspoons fresh) dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- One box (2) rolled refrigerated pie crusts
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook bacon and onion until the onions are softened, 5-6 minutes; remove from heat and cool. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, cream, nutmeg, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Fold in cheese. Coat a 24-compartment mini muffin tin with cooking spray. On a clean work surface unroll pie crusts. Using a 2 ½-inch round cookie cutter cut out 24 rounds; fit into muffin tin, pressing against sides and bottom. Evenly distribute bacon mixture among compartments. Stir egg mixture and carefully spoon evenly among compartments. Bake until puffed and golden, 18-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Saucy Parmesan Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes (oil-packed or dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 slice white bread, finely processed into crumbs (1/2 cup_
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel
In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute until fragrant, then add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes. Cover and keep warm over very low heat.
While sauce is simmering, in a large bowl gently combine all meatball ingredients until just incorporated. Using wet hands, form 1-inch meatballs. Carefully add meatballs to sauce, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and absorb sauce, 30 minutes. Transfer to a fondue pot and serve with fondue forks or skewers.
Roast Beef Sliders with Mushroom & Hearty Burgundy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms (stems removed and discarded), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons grainy mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 thin, large slices roast beef (1/2 pound total)
- 12 slider buns, split and lightly toasted
- 12 small leaves butter lettuce
In a large skillet oil over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme and sauté until mushrooms shrivel and brown, 7 minutes. Add wine and stock, bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add flour and stir for 10 seconds then stir in butter, mustard, salt, and pepper and cook 1 additional minute. Fold 1 lettuce leaf and arrange on bottom half of a slider bun. Top with 1 slice roast beef and 2 tablespoons mushroom sauce. Top with remaining bun half and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining sliders.
Crispy Cheese Ravioli with Red Pepper & Pesto Sauces
- 1 whole head garlic
- Olive oil for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One 12-ounce jar fire roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup prepared good-quality pesto
- One 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese ravioli
- Vegetable oil for frying
Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice top inch off garlic head, drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper, seal in aluminum foil and bake until garlic is softened and golden, 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. In a food processor or blender puree peppers, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and 10 roasted garlic cloves (reserve remaining garlic for another use) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a small serving bowl and swirl in pesto; reserve. Fill a 4-quart saucepan halfway with and heat to 350°F; test oil temperature by dropping in one ravioli; if it sizzles quickly oil is ready. Working in batches, fry ravioli until golden and crisp, turning once, 3 minutes total. Drain on paper towels. Serve with roasted pepper-pesto sauce.
Two Pigs in a Blanket
- One 14-ounce package cocktail frankfurters (about 40)
- 40 small or 20 large (halved) basil leaves
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry from a 17.3-ounce, 2-sheet box, thawed
- One 4-ounce package prosciutto di parma
- 1 egg
- Whole mustard seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out the puff pastry slightly into a 14 x 11-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 14 1-inch strips, then cut each horizontally into 3 equal-sized rectangles. Cut each slice of prosciutto lengthwise into three equal-sized strips, then cut each strip in half horizontally. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water; reserve. Roll each sausage in a prosciutto strip, then in basil, then in puff pastry; arrange on prepared baking sheet, brush with the egg and sprinkle with the mustard seeds. Bake until puffed and golden. 20 minutes. In a small bowl combine the jam and mustard; serve alongside the sausages.
Grilled Sausage & Mushroom Skewers
Makes 20 skewers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound Maitake (also known as hen-of-the woods) mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups marinated artichoke hearts
- 20 small wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes.
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slice sausages on the diagonal into 1-inch chunks (20 chunks total). Using a knife or your hands, gently separate mushrooms into 2-inch pieces. Thread 1 artichoke heart, 1 sausage chunk and 1 mushroom piece onto each skewer; repeat with remaining skewers and drizzle with oil-herb mixture. Grill until lightly charred and warmed through, 2-3 minutes per side.
Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Cocktails
Makes 2 drinks
- ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy
- 2-inch piece peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 black peppercorns
- 6 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy
Muddle together a 2-inch piece peeled ginger, 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 3 black peppercorns in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. To the shaker add ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy, 6 tablespoons blood orange juice, 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice, and 2 tablespoons brandy. Fill with ice, close, and shake vigorously. Fill 2 tall glasses with ice and divide sangria among glasses. Garnish each glass with fresh blood orange segments and fresh pomegranate seeds.
- One 1.5L bottle Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy
- 1-cup agave nectar or honey
- 1-cup fresh orange juice
- 10 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- Two 4-inch strips orange zest
In a saucepan bring to a boil 1 1.5-liter bottle Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy, 1 cup agave nectar or honey, 1 cup fresh orange juice, 10 cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 2 whole star anise, and two 4-inch strips orange zest. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Divide among glasses and garnish with cinnamon sticks.