You don’t have to go to a restaurant to get fresh quesadillas. You can make them right at home with this Easy Chicken Quesadillas recipe!.
Quesadillas can be a tasty lunch. You don’t have to go to a restaurant to get a fresh quesadilla. You can make them right at home with very little effort. Here’s instructions for how to make Easy Chicken Quesadillas.
Easy Chicken Quesadillas
Makes 4 Quesadillas
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8x 10” flour tortillas
- 2 cups pre-cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie works great)
- 2 cup shredded white cheese (Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
Start by making the Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix. This recipe only takes a couple minutes to put together and costs less than buying pre-packaged taco seasoning. It also has less salt and no artificial additives or preservatives. Store unused amounts in an air tight container for up to 6 months.
To make the homemade taco seasoning mix, place all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to combine.
Now it’s time to make the quesadillas.
Add extra virgin olive oil and onion to large cold skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until onion becomes translucent, about 6 – 8 minutes.
Add garlic and stir for 1 – 2 minutes or until it starts to turn brown.
Add chicken broth, taco seasoning, salt and pepper to pan. Stir until dry ingredients are completely dissolved.
Add shredded chicken to the pan and toss to coat in the seasonings. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until any excess moisture is absorbed.
Remove from heat and keep warm.
Place butter in a clean skillet and heat over medium-high heat until melted. Swirl until bottom of pan is thoroughly covered.
Place one tortilla in pan. Top with ½ cup seasoned shredded chicken mixture and ½ cup shredded cheese. Add fresh cilantro and diced jalapeno peppers, if desired.
Distribute ingredients evenly and place second tortilla on top. Carefully flip once the bottom tortilla turns golden brown.
Once both sides are browned and cheese is melted, remove from heat and slice into 8 wedges. Serve immediate with fresh salsa, guacamole, sour cream or pico de gallo.