Courtesy of 150 Best Meals in a Jar by Tanya Linton © 2016 www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
Breakfast Burrito in a Jar
This recipe, from page 13 of Breakfasts and Snacks, makes 1 serving. It calls for the use of one 1-pint (500 mL) wide-mouth mason jar and a baking sheet lined with foil.
This is my take on a breakfast burrito. It doesn’t have the wrap, but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t bring one with you. Or just eat it without. By the time you get to work, it will be at room temperature and ready to eat.
- 1 8-inch (20 cm) flour tortilla
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped avocado (see Tip)
- 1⁄4 cup diced dry-cured chorizo
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
1. Roll flour tortilla into a cylinder and cut into thin strips. In a small bowl, toss tortilla strips with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil until coated. Arrange strips in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely in pan.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk egg and milk until blended.
3. In a medium skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture, tilting the pan to cover the bottom with a thin layer of egg. Cook for about 3 minutes or until almost set. Turn egg over and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cool, roll egg into a cylinder and cut into thin strips.
4. Add salsa to jar, wiping down any splashes from the side of the jar. Layer egg strips, bell pepper, avocado, chorizo, cheese and tortilla strips on top. Seal jar and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Enjoy straight out of the jar.
When chopping avocados to add to a mason jar, squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice over them to prevent them from browning. In place of the avocado, you could use guacamole with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
If you’re looking for more meal in a jar recipes like this be sure to check out my 150 Best Meals in a Jar cookbook review. You can purchase the cookbook on Amazon by clicking below.
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.
- Author: Tanya Linton
- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Robert Rose (March 21, 2016)
- ISBN-10: 077880528X
- ISBN-13: 978-0778805281
- Cover price $19.95
- Purchase on Amazon