Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage And Potato Soup is an easy-to-make rustic and hearty soup that is substantial enough to serve as a main course.
Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage And Potato Soup is a rustic and hearty soup that is substantial enough to serve as a main course. The soup gets the majority of its flavor from the sausage and seasonings, while the chunks of potato make it bulky enough to work as a filling meal. Pair a bowl of this comfort food with a crisp, green side salad and dinner is served!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-7 hours
- 4 oz pancetta, cubed
- 2 lbs bulk mild sausage
- 2x 15 oz cans cannellini beans*
- 6-7 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3” hard Parmesan cheese rind
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup half and half, tempered**
- 3 cups fresh kale, finely chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
* For a flavor with less salt, drain and rinse both cans of cannellini beans before pureeing one can with a little water.
** Temper the half and half by adding a little bit of the hot liquid to it before stirring it into the slow cooker crock.
Brown the pancetta in large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage to the same skillet and brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from pan. Transfer pancetta and sausage to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
Puree one can of cannellini beans (undrained) in a blender or food processor. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the puree and whole beans to slow cooker crock.
Add 6 cups chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes, and Parmesan cheese rind to crock and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove lid and add tempered half and half, kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and remaining chicken stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.