Dirt And Worms Cupcakes are easy to make. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the chocolatey goodness and fun outdoor garden-like look.
Cupcakes are always a hit. Kids always seem to clamor for them, even when they’re plain. Decorate a cupcake in a way that it looks like something they’d see in their yard and kids are enthralled. These Dirt And Worms Cupcakes are easy to make. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the chocolatey goodness and fun look. Here’s instructions for making them.
Dirt And Worms Cupcakes
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.
- measuring spoons – I have a set of adjustable measuring spoons that I love. I got it because I got tired of always missing one spoon or another.
- measuring cup – I have tried a number of different measuring cups and the glass measuring cups are by far my favorite. They are sturdier, wash better and easier to read.
- ice cream scoop
- cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- medium star tip and piping bag
- mixing bowl
- mixer – This Hamilton Beach hand mixer is great because it comes with a snap-on case that holds the attachments. No more hunting for one piece in a drawer! And as far as stand mixers go, you can’t beat the classic look of this stainless stand mixer.
Cook’s Pro Adjust-A-Measure Set, 3-Piece, SatinPyrex Prepware Measuring Cup 3-Pc SetPyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl SetOXO Good Grips Medium Cookie ScoopWilton Rainbow Bright Std Baking Cups, 300 countWilton Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin PanHamilton Beach Hand Mixer with Snap-On CaseHamilton Beach 6-Speed Classic Stand MixerBaker’s Secret 10×16 Nonstick Cooling Rack, 2Wilton 2104-2531 Deluxe Decorating Tip SetWilton Disposable 16″ Decorating Bags, 12 Pack
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (measurements for the eggs, oil and water will change based on which brand of cake mix you purchase)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- ground oreo cookie crumbs
- mini sour gummy worms
Instructions for the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 f.
Place the cupcake liners into the cavities in the cupcake pan.
Place the cake mix, eggs, oil, extract and water in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
Use a medium ice cream scoop to place the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake for about 21 minutes.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place aside to cool.
Instructions for decorating the cupcakes
Place the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and heavy whipping cream into either a standing mixer or a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
If the frosting is soft, add 1/4-1/2 cups powdered sugar until the frosting is thick.
Scoop the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle the oreo cookie crumbs onto the icing.
Place the worms randomly into the icing.