I was provided with a gift card to use toward my purchase at Whole Foods Market. Please note that any personal opinions reflected in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the sponsor in any way.
THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
I love tomatoes. If you live here in New Jersey then you know we have some delicious tomatoes. I admit that I am somewhat ignorant as to the different types of tomatoes. I generally buy the varieties that I’m familiar with or for those adventurous moments, varieties that others have told me are good. One of the varieties that I am familiar with is Heirloom Tomatoes, of which there are different shapes, colors and sizes. They’re not always easy to find in grocery stores around here, sometimes you have to look for them. Whole Foods carries them, look at all of the different ones that they have.
· Very large beefsteak variety that is purple or very dark red. It has a deep flavor and firm, dense texture that stand up to slicing. Serve brined cheeses such as feta or with a sweet drizzle of honey.
· A large beefsteak variety that is yellow with an interior blush. It’s mild, sweet and fruity with low acidity; juicy and soft. Wonderful for gazpacho, paired with balsamic vinegar as a tomato relish or with earthy clothbound cheddar cheese.
· This large beefsteak variety can be pink or yellow. It is sweet with low acidity; this is considered a “slicing” tomato with excellent texture. It’s perfect for sandwiches, used as the base of a fresh summer salad or paired with the creamy saltiness of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
· Medium to large, this beefsteak variety is green even when ripe. Mild and sweet, try making tomato preserves, a sandwich with triple crème brie and baguette or breading and frying slices for fried green tomatoes.
· A medium-sized, round globe variety that can be purple or very dark red. Deep and sweetly flavored with firm texture. Sprinkle wedges with vinaigrette and fresh herbs for a simple treat; pair with Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue to match the tomato’s sweetness with a wonderful blue cheese.
· Small and will be dark yellow or almost orange. Tangy and sweet, it’s perfect for an anytime snack, tossing into quick salads, baking on pizzas and flatbreads and pairing with Parrano cheese.
· Small and will be purple or dark red. It’s very sweet and great in salads, roasting whole, baking into focaccia and pairing with Monterey Jack for a cream-of-tomato soup flavor combination.
The folks at Whole Foods challenged me to try and come up with a recipe highlighting these delicious tomatoes. I was astounded by all of the colors, shapes, and sizes of tomatoes. After speaking with one of the folks in the product department, I decided that I wanted to try and come up with something that would really highlight the flavor of the Heirloom Grape Tomato. So I bought 4 baskets of them, including Sun Gold and Black Cherry, along with some other things.
I had some recipes that would do very well with Heirloom Tomatoes, but I wanted to try and come up with something on my own. I’d spent days trying to figure out precisely what I was going to make, and hadn’t gotten much closer to an answer. I went into the fridge and while rummaging around, I got an idea. I got a couple more items out and had everything I needed to make my dish.
CHEESY CHICKEN AND HEIRLOOM TOMATO PIE
- 2x premade refrigerated pie crusts
- 12 oz cooked chicken breast
- 1 pint Heirloom Grape Tomatoes
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder for crust
Here’s how I made it.
Preheat the oven to 425. While the oven is preheating, put a premade pie crust into a pie plate. Then, cut the Heirloom Grape Tomatoes into halves. This only took a couple of minutes and it made them exactly bite sized, and gives the opportunity to remove most of the seeds with the tip of the knife as you’re cutting.
Next line the bottom of the pie crust with the tomatoes. Then cut the chicken into bite size chunks, about the same size as the tomato halves. Place the chicken into a medium sized bowl, along with the softened cream cheese. Stir that well, then add the garlic powder, shredded cheese and the bacon, stirring as you go along.
Next place the chicken mixture on top of the tomatoes in the pie plate. Then take the second pie crust and put it over top of the pie, pinching it shut and removing the excess dough. Or leave the dough, it certainly looks a little more finished. (I always take it off because the hubby prefers it that way.)
Next spread the softened butter or margarine on the crust. You could also use an egg wash but we prefer the taste of the butter. Bake on 425 for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven. Wait a few minutes before slicing to serve.
The pie was delicious. The bacon and cheese were happy with the chicken and they all came together. The tomatoes sort of captured some of the melted, gooey cream cheese as well. The layer of the Heirloom Tomatoes also gave it an interesting texture being at the bottom of the pie, very different then just dough at the bottom of a pie.
Here are some other recipes, courtesy of Whole Foods, that highlight Heirloom Tomatoes.
- Heirloom Tomato BLT’s
- Savory Corn Tart with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil-Yogurt Drizzle
- Grilled Heirloom Tomato and Pesto Pizzas
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Goat Milk Brie
- Couscous-Filled Heirloom Tomatoes
ONE winner will receive a $50 Whole Foods gift certificate.
HOW TO ENTER. (MANDATORY)
To enter leave a comment on this post telling if you’ve ever had Heirloom Tomatoes AND a dish you’d like to try making with them.
5 – Subscribe to my email feed, and confirm your subscription. Leave 5 comments for this.
3 – Like Valerie Gray on Facebook. Leave 3 comments for this with your Facebook name.
3 – Share this giveaway on Facebook. Leave 3 comments with the link to your share for this.
2 – Follow @valmg on Twitter AND leave your Twitter name here. – Leave 2 comments for this.
1 – Tweet this giveaway. Leave the link to your Tweet in your comment. Two tweets daily is the max for this method of entry.
3 – Follow valmg on Pinterest. Leave your Pinterest name in your comment. Leave 3 comments for this.
3 – Pin this giveaway. Leave 3 comments for this, with the link to your pin.
3 – Follow valmg on Instagram. Leave 3 comments for this, with your Instagram link.
2 – Subscribe to my newsletter. (at top of sidebar) – Leave 2 comments for this.
2 – Subscribe to my YouTube channel. – Leave 2 comments for this.
1 – Subscribe to my RSS feed. (at top of sidebar) – Leave 2 comments for this.
3 – Blog about this giveaway, including a link here. – Leave 3 comments for this.
2 – Place my button (button code in sidebar) on your blog and leave link to your blog. – Leave 2 comments for this.
1 – Leave a relevant comment on any other non-giveaway post on this blog. Unlimited entries for this method of entry. Leave a comment for each.
2 – Visit my other blog – Mom Knows It All – and leave a relevant comment on any non-giveaway post. Then return here and leave a comment on this post telling me one thing you read or learned there. (That’s two comments you need to leave for this bonus entry, one there and one here.) Unlimited entries for this method of entry, leave a comment for each post you commented on.
1 – Visit HereAndThere.US (my Mom) and leave a relevant comment on any non-giveaway post there. Then return here and leave a comment on this post telling me one thing you read or learned on my Mom’s blog. (That’s two comments you need to leave for this bonus entry, one here and one there.) Unlimited entries for this method of entry.
Leave an additional comment for each entry you qualify for. You must have completed the first entry according to the instructions to be eligible for any bonus entries.
THE SMALL PRINT.
The winner will be selected using the “And the winner is” plugin. US addresses only please, no PO Boxes. This contest will end on Friday 09/27/13 at 11:59 pm est. If you’ve entered any of my giveaways before then you know that only comments containing all of the requested information will be eligible for entry. The winner must contact me to confirm they wish to receive the prize within 24 hours of my email notifying them they’ve won. Good luck to everyone!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.