This guest post is courtesy of Smart Balance.
QUINOA PAELLA WITH SHRIMP
Quinoa, a high protein and nutrient rich grain, adds a new twist to a familiar Spanish dish.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- teaspoon pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance Cooking Oil
- teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 12 ounces frozen peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- cup drained and chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
1. In a 10-inch skillet, saut onion, garlic and pepper flakes in oil for 2 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in paprika.
2. Add broth and tomato paste and stir until mixed. Bring to a boil. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place shrimp on top of quinoa, cover and cook 3 minutes longer.
4. Add peas and tomatoes to skillet, cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir before serving.
Per serving: 310 calories, 8 g fat, 0.9 g saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 3.1 g polyunsaturated fat, 3.5 g monounsaturated fat, 670 mg Omega-3 fatty acids, 2508 mg Omega-6 fatty acids, 126 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 23 g protein
This February, during American Heart Month, take care of your heart and your loved ones’ too. More than 81 million American adults suffer from one or more types of cardiovascular disease and many more are at risk, according to the American Heart Association.
Eating a healthy diet is key to maintaining heart health, but that doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Start with small steps, right in your kitchen, by making some simple substitutions. Focus on cutting harmful trans fats and increasing the heart healthy nutrients you’re getting in every meal.
Try these Smart Balance products in your daily diet:
* Our milks (including fat-free and lactose-free) contain _Vitamin D_ to help keep bones strong and may lessen your risk for heart disease.
* Our buttery spreads contain our patented blend of _polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats_ designed to support healthy cholesterol levels.
* Our Cooking Oil, along with several of our other products, contain _Omega-3 fatty acids_, which studies show help reduce the risk for heart disease by decreasing the amount of plaque buildup on artery walls.
* Designed to taste great and support a healthy heart, our Smart Balance Quinoa Paella with Shrimp recipe is low in calories, high in protein and fiber and uses Smart Balance Cooking Oil with Omega-3s to support cardiovascular health.
Smart Balance is spreading the love all month long with new coupons for up to $5 in savings, and 12 FREE, unique Valentine’s eCards available to send to family, friends and loved ones in an effort to “put a little love in your heart” and theirs.