With the unprecedented number of California strawberries (about 63 million pounds a week) in markets across the country, people are looking for the best ways to store and enjoy them. Here are 10 tips from California Chef, Luca Rutigliano, on how to take advantage of this summertime opportunity.
1) Choose strawberries with a consistent red color from top to bottom.
2) Make sure the stem is green and the skin is shiny and firm.
3) Inspect berries in container for signs of bruising or mold.
4) Refrigerate strawberries immediately after purchasing.
5) Before eating, rinse under cool water, pat dry and then remove stems.
1) After rinsing, gently blot dry.
2) Slice stem off at top of berry.
3) Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
4) Place uncovered in freezer for 24 hours.
5) Transfer strawberries to a freezer bag or container.
For a demonstration of these tips, check out this video ‘How to Select and Store Strawberries’.
Serving Tips from the California Strawberry Commission
1) Strawberries are most flavorful served at room temperature.
2) Serve just as they are or sliced in cereals, salads and served with any meal, any time of day.
3) For 50 ways to eat strawberries, download the free strawberries iPhone App: http://bit.ly/8LANJo