This guest recipe is courtesy of King Arthur Flour.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Subtly spiced moist cake with a bit of crystallized ginger for zest, these cupcakes go together quickly, and are the perfect treat for a Halloween party. And who can resist cream cheese frosting with a hint of orange?
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 package Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger or ginger mini-chips
- 3/4 cup water
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/8 teaspoon orange oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 cups sifted glazing sugar OR confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with 21 papers, and spray the insides of the papers to keep the cakes from tearing when you eat them. Fill the 3 remaining wells of the muffin tin halfway with water.
2. For the cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add half of the pumpkin spice mix and stir until well-blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping the bowl after reach addition.
3. Stir in the crystallized ginger (if you’re using it; and you really should, as it makes these cupcakes something special).
4. Add the water 1/4 cup at a time
5. alternately with the remaining mix, mixing until well-bleded after each addition.
6. Scoop the batter into the cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
7. Bake the cakes in a preheated 350°F oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes before taking them out of the pan and placing them on a rack to cool completely before frosting.
8. For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and shortening together until smooth. Add the oil and zest, beating well.
9. Add the glazing or confectioners’ sugar one cup at a time, beating until fluffy. Scrape the bowl once more, beat for one more minute, then use to frost the cupcakes.