This guest post is from Mealtime.org, used with permission.
Graveyard Pumpkin Mousse
Put a seasonal twist on so-called “dirt dessert.” with a few easy garnishes. This pumpkin mousse, made with canned pumpkin and bananas, and topped with crushed chocolate cookie crumbles, has a Halloween look for kids and adult party guests.
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 medium bananas, cut into 1/4″ thick slices
- Long gummy worms and clean plastic skeletons or spiders, for garnish
Preparation Time: Approximately 15 minutes
Process the cookies in a food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade to make fine crumbs; set aside.*
Beat the cream in a mixing bowl to form firm peaks; set aside. Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a separate bowl until creamy. Add the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice; mix well. Fold in the whipped cream and bananas until blended.
Spoon 3/4 cup pumpkin mousse into each of 8 stemmed dessert glasses or large custard cups; spread top evenly. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cookie crumbs over the top. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. To garnish, arrange gummy worms and skeletons on “dirt” topping, arranging gummy worms to resemble worms crawling out of the glass.
* Tip: If a food processor is not available, place the cookies in a resealable plastic bag. Close securely; crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet to make fine crumbs.