This guest recipe is courtesy of Rice Krispies.
Chocolate Pumpkin Eater Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies®
- 6 pretzel rod sticks, broken in half OR 12 wooden ice cream sticks
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Multi-colored sprinkles
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using 1/2-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into ball. Push one pretzel piece into each. Cool.
4. In small saucepan combine chocolate morsels and shortening. Cook over low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Dip tops of balls into chocolate. Decorate with sprinkles. Place on wax-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm. Individually wrap in plastic wrap. Best if served the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. In small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate morsels and shortening. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 15 seconds. Continue with recipe as directed above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in single layer on wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.