Shepherd’s Pie. Many people make it many different ways. No matter what you put in it or what order you put the ingredients in, it’s a safe bet to say that if you’re calling it Shepherd’s Pie it’s comfort food. So far I have found electric pressure cookers such as the Instant Pot to excel at making comfort foods. So, I thought it would be interesting to try making a Shepherd’s Pie in there. We all enjoyed the finished meal and I’ve already thought up some different variations to try. Here’s how I made it.
Instant Pot Gluten-free Shepherd’s Pie
- Instant Pot
- cheesecake pan that fits inside the Instant Pot – The Fat Daddio 7×3 push pan fits perfectly. The food is a little challenging to get out of this one, you’ll need to use two plates in order to do it. The MCirco 7″ springform pan also fits perfectly and it’s easier to get the food out.
- measuring cup
- cooking spoon
- potato peeler
- silicone trivet – If you place the pan on this Instant Pot silicone trivet you can easily remove the pan after cooking has completed just by lifting the handles.
MCIRCO 7″ Non-stick Springform PanFat Daddio’s 7×3 Anodized Aluminum Cheesecake PanInstant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, Stainless Steel RimInstant Pot Long Handled Silicone TrivetPyrex 3-Piece Glass Measuring Cup SetStainless Jonas Peeler w Swiveling HeadCounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat, Set of 4Tovolo Silicone Potato Masher w Stainless Handle
- 1.25 lb ground beef
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 1x 1 oz packet ranch dip & dressing mix
- 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
Set the Instant Pot to saute.
Brown the ground beef.
Once the ground beef is browned, remove it and set it aside.
Add the potatoes, water, and milk to the pressure cooker.
Cook on manual for 8 minutes.
Do a quick pressure release.
Add the cream cheese and butter and stir well.
Mash the potatoes with a silicone coated potato masher.
It’s time to assemble the Shepherd’s Pie.
Place the mashed potatoes into the pan.
Place the corn on top of the mashed potatoes, covering the whole top of the potatoes except a about 1/2 in ch around the edge.
Place the ground beef on top of the corn.
Sprinkle cheese on top of the ground beef.
Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Set the Instant Pot to manual low pressure 5 minutes.
Do a quick pressure release and remove the pan from the Instant Pot.
If you remove the Shepherd’s Pie right away it won’t stand nicely. If you want it to stand nicely and cut more neatly than messy you need to let the pan sit for about 10 minutes before removing the Shepherd’s Pie from the pan. If you don’t mind if it isn’t totally neat you can remove it from the pan right away.