Double Lemon Cake (page 277)
Courtesy 250 Best Meals in a Mug by Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2014 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.
Heaps of citrus zing, minimal ingredients, delicious, ready in minutes — what more could you want from a lemon cake?
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (45 mL)
- 1⁄4 tsp baking powder (1 mL)
- 1⁄8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar (45 mL)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (30 mL)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (5 mL)
- 11⁄2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (22 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar (75 mL)
- 11⁄2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (7 mL)
To make this recipe you need a 16-oz (500 mL) mug, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
In the mug, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a fork, beat in egg, sugar, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice until very well blended.
Microwave on High for 11⁄2 to 2 minutes (checking at 11⁄2) or until risen and center is just set. Let cool slightly or entirely in mug. Eat directly from mug or gently remove to a small plate.
In a small bowl or cup, use a fork to stir confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
- Using oil, instead of butter, in this recipe helps to keep the cake extra-moist.
- You can use 1⁄8 tsp (0.5 mL) lemon extract in place of the lemon zest.
Prep Ahead Option
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in the mug; cover and store at room temperature. Whisk the egg in a small airtight container, then add sugar, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice; cover and refrigerate. Prepare the icing in a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
This Vremi 18 piece set includes 9 glass food storage containers in small, medium and large sizes with 9 color accented matching airtight snap-on lids. These reusable containers are oven, freezer, dishwasher and microwave safe. These containers keep leftovers fresh, and are handy for meal prep and planning lunch or dinner ahead.
If you’re looking for more mug recipes like this be sure to check out my 250 Best Meals In A Mug cookbook review, which contains a recipe for Italian Meatball Stew in a mug. You can purchase the cookbook on Amazon by clicking below. I also have a Brownie Batter Dip recipe on the blog as well.
- Author: Camilla V. Saulsbury
- Paperback: 312 pages
- Publisher: Robert Rose (January 16, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0778804747
- ISBN-13: 978-0778804741
- Cover Price $24.95
- Purchase on Amazon