Chuck Wagon Beef Stew
Makes 8 servings
Courtesy of 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes by Marilyn Haugen © 2016 www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
This hearty and savory stew is an all-time classic — the perfect crowd-pleasing dish. It’s perfect for lazy days when everyone just wants to grab a bowl at their leisure, and for potlucks or any time you are asked to bring a dish.
Instant Pot Functions
• Slow Cook
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, divided (150 mL)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Hungarian paprika, divided (10 mL)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch 1 kg (2.5 cm) pieces
- virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (30 mL)
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup dry red wine (250 mL)
- 2 cups ready-to-use beef broth (500 mL)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch 3 (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 lb small white potatoes, cut in half (500 g)
1. In a medium bowl, combine 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) flour, 2 tsp (10 mL) salt, 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) pepper, mixing well. Add beef, tossing to coat and shaking off any excess flour. Reserve excess flour mixture.
2. Press Sauté; the indicator will read “Normal.” When the display says “Hot,” add 2 tsp (10 mL) oil and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add beef and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned on all sides, adding more oil as needed. Transfer beef to a plate.
3. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to the pot and heat until shimmering. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until dark red. Add the remaining flour and flour mixture, whisking until combined. Add thyme, wine and broth; cook, whisking, for 4 to 5 minutes or until gravy is smooth and thickened. Press Cancel. Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pot and add carrots and potatoes, stirring well.
4. Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Venting. Press Slow Cook; the indicator will read “Normal.” Press Adjust twice to change the heat level to “Less.” Use the button to increase the time on the display to 7:00.
5. When the timer beeps, remove the lid and check to make sure the beef and vegetables are tender. (If more cooking is needed, reset the slow cooker to “Less” for 30 minutes.) Discard thyme sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle stew into serving bowls and serve garnished with the remaining paprika.
If serving this stew for a party or taking it to a potluck, keep it in the pot on the Keep Warm setting. It can be kept warm for up to 2 hours.
Serve with cornbread or bread sticks for a warming, comforting meal.
If you’re looking for more Instant Pot recipes like this be sure to check out my 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes cookbook review. You can purchase the cookbook on Amazon by clicking below.
Some of the posts on this site, such as this one, contain an affiliate link. This means I MAY get paid a VERY SMALL commission if you purchase the product or service.
- Author: Marilyn Haugen
- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Robert Rose (September 1, 2016)
- ISBN-10: 0778805425
- ISBN-13: 978-0778805427
- Cover price $19.95
- Purchase on Amazon