This guest recipe is courtesy of Kim, author of the awesome gluten-free blog Cook It Allergy Free. She’s also the creator of the Cook It Allergy Free iPhone app.
PUMPKIN STREUSEL BREAD GLUTEN FREE (and easily Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, and Egg-Free)
- 1 1/4 Cups: gluten-free flour blend (I used Carol’s Amazing All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour)
- 1/2 Cup: almond flour (For Nut-Free Version: use an additional 1/2 cup all purpose flour)
- 1/4 Cup: quinoa flour (or certified gluten free oat flour)
- 1/4 tsp: xanthan gum, unless flour blend you are using already contains it
- 2 tsp: pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
- 2 tsp: baking soda
- 1/2 tsp: salt
- 1/2 Cup: Organic Palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 Cup: brown sugar, packed
- 8 Tbsp: butter, softened -1 stick (For Dairy-Free Version: use 8 Tbsp Organic Canola Oil or 1 Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick)
- 2: eggs (For Egg-Free Version: Combine 2 Tbsp Flax Meal with 6 Tbsp HOT water or dairy-free milk, letting sit for 5 minutes until gelled; OR combine 3 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer with 4 Tbsp water or dairy-free milk and whisk until foamy. Add an extra 1/2 tsp baking soda to the dry mixture if not using eggs)
- 2 tsp: vanilla
- 14 1/2 oz: canned organic pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling
Streusel Topping (optional, but my favorite part):
- 1 Tbsp: gluten-free flour blend, (for streusel topping)
- 2 Tbsp: butter, (cold, but slightly softened – for streusel topping)-For Dairy-Free Version use equal amts Organic Canola or Coconut Oil, or Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick
- 1 Tbsp: Organic Palm sugar, (or brown sugar – for streusel topping)
- 2 tsp: pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon (for streusel topping)
- 2 tsp: ground chia seeds or flax meal
- 1 tsp: quinoa flakes (or certified Gluten Free Oats)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a large (9 x 5 inch) non-stick loaf pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to the exact measurement of the bottom of the pan without allowing it to go up the sides. Place in bottom.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together all purpose gluten-free flour, almond flour, quinoa (or gf oat) flour, xanthan gum, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
3. In mixer bowl, cream together butter (or Earth Balance Buttery Sitcks, or Canola oil) and sugar until fluffy.
4, Add eggs, one at a time (or slowly mix in egg replacer). Then add vanilla and pumpkin and mix until fully blended.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients into wet and blend well, but do not over mix.
6. Pour mixture into prepared large 9 x 5 inch bread loaf pan.
7. Prepare streusel topping: Mix together flour, butter (or Dairy-Free alternative), sugar, pumpkin pie spice, ground chia or flax, and quinoa flakes (or gf oats). Sprinkle over the top of the batter, then place in oven and bake for 55 – 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and center of loaf reaches 208 degrees. The ten minute baking time range accounts for the differences in oven temperatures. The internal temperature of your oven (and your bread loaf) determine when the loaf is done.
8. Let bread cool for a few minutes, then run knife around edges of pan and remove bread. Place on rack and let cool completely before slicing.
NOTE: You can also trade out the pumpkin for applesauce and the pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon to make this an Applesauce Cinnamon Streusel Bread. We like it this way too.